Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221119 - 27/02/2002 09:38 empeg --> Rio Reciever like this?
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I know it has been mentioned that the empeg doesn't have enough memory to run server software for a Rio Receiver, but this post by biscuitsjam got me thinking:

In reply to:

"Another annoyance is that the server software doesn't like UNC paths. The server must be on the same machine where the music files exist. If your music is dispersed on multiple computers, you're out of luck. If you publish music files on the network via a shared folder, the server should map a drive letter to the shared folder. Playlists must use the drive letter instead of UNC names. For example, use m:\REM\losing_my_religion.mp3 instead of \\jukebox\REM\losing_my_religion.mp3"

This is just wrong. The Rio Receiver CAN play music from remote network hosts without mapping the drives. This is what I am currently doing. (I am under the impression that this generates 2x the network traffic though)

With Hijack (maybe a later version that allows this if not a feature already) on the empeg, connect the empeg to a PC as either a path or a network drive. Then, create m3u files on the PC that point to mp3's (fids) on the empeg. Finally, install and run the server software on the PC and connect the Reciever to the LAN. Basically, use the files on the empeg, but run the server on a seperate machine. I realize it wouldn't be a plug-and-play solution, but it should work shouldn't it? The id3 tags would have to be updated too...

Would this work? Sorry if this has been brought up before.

#221120 - 27/02/2002 10:23 Re: empeg --> Rio Reciever like this? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm sure we could find a way to make that scheme work, but what's the point?

The only reason I would see for having an Empeg as a receiver-server would be so that you don't need a PC left on all the time. Basically, a poor-man's HSX. If you've gotta have the PC running anyway, why bother with the Empeg in the equation at all?

(By the way, you can't connect to the empeg as a Windows network drive because it doesn't have Samba on it. I'm sure there are other work-around solutions we could come up with, but again, what's the point.)

#221121 - 28/02/2002 08:46 Re: empeg --> Rio Reciever like this? [Re: tfabris]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

Well, I'm not sure if I personally have any use for this either, but it does have some benefits. For example, you only have to have the music on one harddrive (the empeg) instead of two (the empeg and your PC). Let's say you have a crappy PC you want to be the server with only a tiny hard drive; you can leave your main PC entirely out of the loop.

There's also the coolness factor, an excuse to set up a wireless network connection to your car if you are so inclined, etc. Again, I don't have a personal use for it that I can see, but somebody might.

"By the way, you can't connect to the empeg as a Windows network drive because it doesn't have Samba on it."

You don't have to connect to the empeg as a mapped drive (i.e. f:\artist - track.mp3). The Receiver software can use its network path (i.e. \\empeg\artist - track.mp3).

-Biscuits

#221122 - 28/02/2002 08:49 Re: empeg --> Rio Reciever like this? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
You don't have to connect to the empeg as a mapped drive .....

Same thing. Specifying a path as \\empeg\whatever still requires Samba on the empeg.

#221123 - 28/02/2002 10:24 Re: empeg --> Rio Reciever like this? [Re: Biscuitsjam]
Demon

There's also the coolness factor, an excuse to set up a wireless network connection to your car if you are so inclined, etc. Again, I don't have a personal use for it that I can see, but somebody might

My wife would get pretty upset if I drove off with the MP3 server in my car while she was listening to the Receiver. lol.

:d:

#221124 - 01/03/2002 14:30 Re: empeg --> Rio Reciever like this? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Basically, a poor-man's HSX. If you've gotta have the PC running anyway, why bother with the Empeg in the equation at all?

Exactly. The RioReciever is $100-$200, so I can justify that for one. I already own a few empeg at $1700, so why can't I save $1500 and have almost the same thing? All my music is on my empeg. It's then backed up to MP3 cds, as I don't have enough hard drive space in one place for all my music. I have a PC to rip, so that feature of the HSX dosen't stand out at me. And I also have a burner if I ever need to make a music CD (Haven't since I've had the empeg installed).

If I can't have a complete solution on the empeg, Samba on the empeg would work well for me. The one system in my house that is always on is my Linux server, so it could just connect to the empeg via SMB or NFS to get music. And Samba does exist for the empeg, Kil got it working here

#221125 - 04/03/2002 03:55 Re: empeg --> Rio Reciever like this? [Re: drakino]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
The one system in my house that is always on is my Linux server, so it could just connect to the empeg via SMB or NFS to get music.

Or via Hijack or the normal empeg protocol? What you need is a version of the linux receiver server that can serve the contents of an attached empeg. I haven't written one, I hasten to add, but I keep meaning to...

Peter